Merced Symphony Youth Auditions
Dear Music/Voice Teacher,
Be a part of our 61st consecutive year of bringing exceptional classical music to Merced! Enclosed is an application for the MSA Youth Auditions co-sponsored with Merced College. Please encourage your advanced students to audition! Please also share this opportunity with other music teachers and their experienced voice or instrument students.
This year’s competition is Saturday, November 17, 2018 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 pm at Merced College. Merced College is located at 3600 M. St., Merced, CA 95348-2806. Parking fee is $1.
The musical requirements are as follows:
- Contestants must be able to perform proficiently on a musical instrument or in voice.
- Concerto performed should be from standard concert repertoire.
- Vocal participants should present two contrasting selections.
Other requirements are as follows:
- Contestants must be under the age of 21 as of January 1, 2019.
- Contestants must provide three (3) copies of the music to be performed for the judges.
- At the discretion of the Music Director, the winner(s) may be invited to perform at either one of the four Children’s Concerts or with the Merced Symphony Orchestra at its Spring Concert. Please note that we cannot, at this time, guarantee a public performance for the audition winner(s).
- Cash awards are given to the winner(s). Usually this is–1st Place: $100/2nd Place: $75/3rd Place: $50.
- Contestants are expected to provide their own accompanist. A piano or keyboard will be available for the accompanist.
- A $20 entry fee made payable to the Merced Symphony Association (MSA) must accompany the completed application.
- Deadline for applications is Wednesday, November 7, 2018.
- Mail entry form and fee to the Merced Symphony, P. O. Box 894, Merced 95341-0894.
- If you have questions, please call the Symphony Office at 383-3277 to leave a message, or contact MSA President, Judy Edwina Smith, 209-777-5345 or e-mail email@example.com.
Students will report at least 15 minutes ahead of their assigned time to Music Room 1 located in the Music Building behind the Merced College Theater. Practice rooms are available as well as a place for parents to wait during the auditions. Audition schedule will be determined by the number of applicants and the distance each has to travel. Schedule will be announced during the week before the audition.
Several audition winners have played professionally and one has achieved world-wide renown. The Merced Symphony Association and Merced College are proud to have helped them on their way. We look forward to helping your exceptional students grow as well!
Judy Edwina Smith, President
Merced Symphony Board
John Albano, Dean
Fine & Performing Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at Merced College
Youth Audition Winner Amaryn Olmeda
Aspiring young violinist Amaryn Olmeda, age 9, began playing the violin at 4 years old. She is a student of renowned violinist and educator, William Barbini. Amaryn made her performance debut at the Colorado Suzuki Strings Institute in Beaver Colorado at the age of 6. Since then, she has won first place for the Auburn Symphony Young Artists Competition (also the Grand Prize Winner), the Music in the Mountains Young Musicians Competition (also the Paul Perry Award for Best Performance), the Classical Music Masters at the Harris Center for the Performing Arts, the Sacramento Youth Symphony Academic Orchestra Concerto Competition, the Pacific Musical Society Competition in San Francisco, the Sacramento Section of the American String Teachers Association Solo Competition, and recently the Merced Symphony Youth Auditions. In addition to her solo endeavors, Amaryn is Principal 2nd Violinist in the Premier Orchestra of the Sacramento Youth Symphony.
Amaryn has been a solo artist with the Sacramento Youth Symphony Academic Orchestra, the Music in the Mountains Youth Orchestra, and with the SYS Chamber Music Workshop Orchestra at the Westminster Music at Noon Concert Series. For the 2017-2018 season, Amaryn will be returning as a soloist with the Music in the Mountains Youth Orchestra. She will also be the featured artist for the “Amazing Talent” 2018 Family Concert of the Auburn Symphony. Amaryn has also been asked to perform as a soloist with the Sacramento Youth Symphony Premier Orchestra at their End of Watch Concert, honoring fallen police officers and firefighters of Sacramento.
Amaryn has been the guest artist for the Sacramento Youth Symphony Academic Orchestra School Tours program, where she was the featured soloist for performances at schools in the Sacramento area. In the summer of 2017, she was the featured soloist for the SYS Chamber Music Workshop, performing as a soloist with the Chamber Orchestra Mentors at various nursing homes. She has performed at the Davis Community Church weekly Luncheons for the Homeless, for the Children for Children Showcase Concert to benefit the Child Advocates of Nevada County, and for the Keaton Raphael Memorial Foundation, an organization benefiting children with cancer. Amaryn also loves collecting American Girl Dolls, attending ballet and art classes, and knitting and sewing. She homeschools on her family’s hobby farm in Loomis, CA where she enjoys caring for animals and family gardening.
Past Youth Auditions Winners
Some of the past winners of the Merced Symphony Youth Auditions are:
- Adrian Pu - Piano
- Owen Yang - Piano
- Amy Deng - Piano
- Jessica Yeung - Piano
- Parker Van Ostrand - Piano
- Nathan Hunsuck - Cello
- Karen Wong - Piano
- Roger Xia - Piano
- Kathryn Matson – Violin
- Kristen Hunsuck – Violin
- Selena Pistoresi – Piano
- Lexie Pivirotto-Britton – Voice
- Marit Medefind – Voice
- Marty Matson – Violin
- Jared Pierce – Piano
- Jacob Matson – Cello
- Sophia Kreide – Violin
- Duet of Sophia Kreide and Caitlin Hunsuck – Violin
- Trio of Geoffrey Baker Matson – Piano; Jacob Matson – Cello; Marty Matson – Violin
- Paulette Casillas – Voice
- Anita Kris – Piano
- Michael Carlson – Violin
- Emily Reed – Violin
- Robyn Decker – Cello
- Tara Kamanger – Piano
- Shoanie Young – Violin
- Yonnie Young – Cello
- Kristen Cheeseman – Voice
- Ashley Callister – Piano
- Patrice Stribling Nelson – Piano
- Patrick M. Thompson – Piano
Many of these winners have continued to perform as soloists or with groups after performing with the Merced Symphony.
If you are reading this and are a youth audition winner or if you know a winner, please contact the Merced Symphony and let us know. Also, let us know if you continue to perform.